Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP

5 posters

Go down

SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP Empty SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP

Post by AlexanderLondon Wed 1 Dec 2021 - 22:01

Hello,

My brake discs and pads are in desperate need of repair as they have a massive lip on them. And soon! Within the next couple weeks - including ordering - as going up to silverstone for my birthday.

I went up to KwikFit and Halfords and both came back with all 4 corners replaced for £500+. Halfords was £775!
I'm a student, and I have a max budget of about £120. MAX
I've heard changing brake discs and pads are quite easy, so I've decided to do them with a couple friends who are more experienced with cars than I am.
I've found some discs and pads that SAY they fit my Wind spec, but not entirely sure they would as it's obviously a rare car. Also unsure on if they would be appropriate or not.
I have decided to do front axel only as rear seems too complicated with all the 'bearings' and such. Most braking is done on front anyways ... right?

Brake Discs link:
(not allowing me to post links so put a www dot here) buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1165599
Brake Pads link:
(not allowing me to post links so put a www dot here) buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/7999847

Things I am concerned about:
If those links I sent are suitable for my car?
Brake Pad sizes. If they would fit?
Brake disc sizes. These are all generally the same size on the site ... but still wanted to put it on here.
Brake pad integrated wear sensor. (Do I need to be concerned about this? Do I need it? I read somewhere that it's only on newer cars)
Brake pad wear indicator. (Same as above)
Any special tools needed (Looked at two tutorials on here and seem straightforward. I know of a rewind tool but have read I can do that with G Clamps).
Basket comes to £53 including £9 delivery charge. A bit different from the £450 'parts' quote in halfords! That included an oil change but I've also seen people comment '£300 odd for brake discs & pads isn't bad'.
If three barely experienced teenagers can replace front axel brake discs and pads (EVERYONE has said that 'it's easy, just lengthy, but I'm not so sure. Want to know from someone who has ACTUALLY done it)

Specs:
RENAULT WIND 1.2 TCE GT LINE 2011

Thank you! Alex.

PS sorry if I come across as stupid ... this is my first time doing anything with a car!

AlexanderLondon
Started the engine

Back to top Go down

SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP Empty Re: SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 8:03

Hi Alex
Whilst I quite understand your predicament with looking for the cheapest option...personally your quote from Halfords for around £500 for 4 x discs, pads and an oil change sounds pretty good..
My advice would have to be to look for a smaller local mechanic.. who knows what he's doing... who would probrably do you an even better price
I would be very concerned about trusting the brakes to anyone who is an enthusiastic amateur to be honest mate...
You can't put a price on safety.. at least get it checked over by a professional if you and your mates do give it a go before you go on a long run..
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs, renton beersworth, bigjase1972 and AlexanderLondon like this post

Back to top Go down

SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP Empty Re: SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP

Post by AlexanderLondon Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 8:17

up'Old'SeaDog wrote:Hi Alex
Whilst I quite understand your predicament with looking for the cheapest option...personally your quote from Halfords for around £500 for 4 x discs, pads and an oil change sounds pretty good..
My advice would have to be to look for a smaller local mechanic.. who knows what he's doing... who would probrably do you an even better price
I would be very concerned about trusting the brakes to anyone who is an enthusiastic amateur to be honest mate...
You can't put a price on safety.. at least get it checked over by a professional if you and your mates do give it a go before you go on a long run..
Hi,
Thanks for your response!
I understand, however anything of that price range is just out of my budget completely. I simply do not have the money for it. A local mechanic would charge a similar £200 for labour costs as it is.
My friends have some knowledge when it comes to anything mechanical based, and as people have said in the past that it’s ‘straightforward’, I feel comfortable enough with them helping me. I just wanted to know if those parts I linked were suitable for my car, as currently it’s my only option.
Thanks again : )

AlexanderLondon
Started the engine

renton beersworth and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 9:07

Search brakes on the top of the Forum page and you will get 3 threads with helpful advice. 

Good luck but as @Oldseadog said B
be careful.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

renton beersworth, bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog and AlexanderLondon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyk Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 14:12

AlexanderLondon wrote:Hello,

My brake discs and pads are in desperate need of repair as they have a massive lip on them. And soon! Within the next couple weeks - including ordering - as going up to silverstone for my birthday.

I went up to KwikFit and Halfords and both came back with all 4 corners replaced for £500+. Halfords was £775!
I'm a student, and I have a max budget of about £120. MAX
I've heard changing brake discs and pads are quite easy, so I've decided to do them with a couple friends who are more experienced with cars than I am.
I've found some discs and pads that SAY they fit my Wind spec, but not entirely sure they would as it's obviously a rare car. Also unsure on if they would be appropriate or not.
I have decided to do front axel only as rear seems too complicated with all the 'bearings' and such. Most braking is done on front anyways ... right?

Brake Discs link:
(not allowing me to post links so put a www dot here) buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1165599
Brake Pads link:
(not allowing me to post links so put a www dot here) buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/7999847

Things I am concerned about:
If those links I sent are suitable for my car?
Brake Pad sizes. If they would fit?
Brake disc sizes. These are all generally the same size on the site ... but still wanted to put it on here.
Brake pad integrated wear sensor. (Do I need to be concerned about this? Do I need it? I read somewhere that it's only on newer cars)
Brake pad wear indicator. (Same as above)
Any special tools needed (Looked at two tutorials on here and seem straightforward. I know of a rewind tool but have read I can do that with G Clamps).
Basket comes to £53 including £9 delivery charge. A bit different from the £450 'parts' quote in halfords! That included an oil change but I've also seen people comment '£300 odd for brake discs & pads isn't bad'.
If three barely experienced teenagers can replace front axel brake discs and pads (EVERYONE has said that 'it's easy, just lengthy, but I'm not so sure. Want to know from someone who has ACTUALLY done it)

Specs:
RENAULT WIND 1.2 TCE GT LINE 2011

Thank you! Alex.

PS sorry if I come across as stupid ... this is my first time doing anything with a car!
Alexander

The part numbers you have quoted above appear correct for your car if you cross reference them with the Renault part numbers. These are for the front disks and pads.

If it helps the Renault part numbers are

Front disk       402069518R
Front pads      8671016654

Rear disk        8660001811
Rear pads       8660004461

I hope this helps, good luck in getting it sorted.

Andy
Andyk
Andyk
The Wind in your hair

'Old'SeaDog and AlexanderLondon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyk Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 14:18

Andyk wrote:
AlexanderLondon wrote:Hello,

Alexander

The part numbers you have quoted above appear correct for your car if you cross reference them with the Renault part numbers. These are for the front disks and pads.

If it helps the Renault part numbers are

Front disk       402069518R
Front pads      8671016654

Rear disk        8660001811
Rear pads       8660004461

I hope this helps, good luck in getting it sorted.

Andy
FYI, anybody looking for the correct part numbers for Wind parts this is a good source.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/pick?c=Renault&model=Wind+%28PR+1433%29&ssd=%24%2AKwFBG2QOQQAAAAB22jD2%24

Andy
Andyk
Andyk
The Wind in your hair

'Old'SeaDog and libs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Thu 2 Dec 2021 - 16:31

AlexanderLondon wrote:
up'Old'SeaDog wrote:Hi Alex
Hi,
Thanks for your response!
I understand, however anything of that price range is just out of my budget completely. I simply do not have the money for it. A local mechanic would charge a similar £200 for labour costs as it is.
My friends have some knowledge when it comes to anything mechanical based, and as people have said in the past that it’s ‘straightforward’, I feel comfortable enough with them helping me. I just wanted to know if those parts I linked were suitable for my car, as currently it’s my only option.
Thanks again : )

Fair enough mate.. be careful.. and above all enjoy your superb new car, they really are a brilliant drive .. and anyway, you won't need your brakes on corners !! they corner as if on rails !! 😉

Oh, and welcome to the Forum too mate !! 👍😊
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs, renton beersworth and Roadster like this post

Back to top Go down

SOS Replacing Brake Discs & Pads ASAP Empty Split payments

Post by Roadster Sat 18 Dec 2021 - 10:47

Hi there, 
My brother is a mechanical whizz, me, I can change a wheel and do stuff but wouldn't attempt the brakes - good on you for trying. 

For future notice - I use a fabulous local mechanic who's signed up to a system that allows me to split any large garage bills equally over 4 months, interest free. I know you'd rather not spend big money - who wouldn't - but it's worth while investigating. 
Good luck.

Roadster
Set the stereo

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexanderLondon Sat 18 Dec 2021 - 11:54

Hi,
We changed them the other day. Didn’t have time for the second one in one night so we decided to try it out and then do the second brake the following day. When we tried to test it out, the car felt like it was grinding, a sort of rumbling sensation. Obviously, we were incredibly worried, but decided that we will take everything off, put it back on and then do the second brake the next day. When we finished, the rumbling had stopped on the side of the brake we had done the day before, and started happening on the other side. After some Richard Hammond accelerating and braking (reference to the Chernobyl episode ; ) ) the rumbling stopped. Turned out that often happens with some aftermarket parts and just needed bedding in. I’ve been driving it daily to and from school, even went on a 300 mile road trip to silverstone for my birthday. Brakes feel a million times better. They have been working good and feeling good so far. Turns out, replacing brake discs and pads are incredibly straight forward, so i hope that whoever reading this does not be discouraged from doing so and does not go down the £700 at a mechanic route. If a youngster who tried to put it in reverse going 70 on his driving test can replace some brakes, you can to! The hardest part was a wire that holds the calliper together!
Roadster wrote:Hi there, 
My brother is a mechanical whizz, me, I can change a wheel and do stuff but wouldn't attempt the brakes - good on you for trying. 

For future notice - I use a fabulous local mechanic who's signed up to a system that allows me to split any large garage bills equally over 4 months, interest free. I know you'd rather not spend big money - who wouldn't - but it's worth while investigating. 
Good luck.

AlexanderLondon
Started the engine

'Old'SeaDog, Roadster and Andyk like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sat 18 Dec 2021 - 17:01

Hi AlexanderLondon
Really glad to hear that you and your mates managed to get the job done 👍
I'm rather assuming that the time that you tried to go into reverse at 70mph... you failed ? 😂

'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexanderLondon Sat 18 Dec 2021 - 17:04

Yep.. had played racing sims al my life and assumed there was gonna b a 6th gear i guess. Only got a minor for it though aha
'Old'SeaDog wrote:Hi AlexanderLondon
Really glad to hear that you and your mates managed to get the job done 👍
I'm rather assuming that the time that you tried to go into reverse at 70mph... you failed ? 😂

AlexanderLondon
Started the engine

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down