Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Diamond Cut Wheels - wrecked

+2
pittstop
Vell70
6 posters

Go down

Diamond Cut Wheels - wrecked Empty Diamond Cut Wheels - wrecked

Post by Vell70 Sat 15 Aug 2020 - 7:24

Morning

The diamond cut original wheels on my new car are damaged fairly badly. I realise after less than two days of ownership why after gently dinging one myself (a proud expert parker).
So my question is this:
Does one just get better at parking the little beauty and get the wheels refurbished, or does one swap them for something less fragile like a standard alloy with a rim protector? What have you guys and gals (I still haven’t managed to become ‘woke’ with modern genders) done over the years? Thanks!

Vell70
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Diamond Cut Wheels - wrecked Empty Re: Diamond Cut Wheels - wrecked

Post by pittstop Sat 15 Aug 2020 - 10:45

The Wind is the easiest car to "kerb" I've ever owned.

OK one does get better at it but I still haven't completely mastered it after 5 yrs ownership!

My standard wheels were so scratched I was ashamed of them.

Temporary fix was to completely matt black the wheels which goes quite well with my front end matt black treatment.

That "temp" fix has lasted some years. Just touch in after the next scratch.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Vell70 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadster Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 2:07

I've kerbed or dinged all of the wheels, and like you Pitstop, I'm quite ashamed of how the car looks. I'd like to keep the original look but think I might go for an all black finish. A friend has just had his Audi wheels powder-coated black, very nice. If money was no object I'd get the wheels renewed and brake calipers powdered-coated Gordini Blue. Ah well, it's nice to daydream.

Roadster
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno.0 Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 2:26

Mine are gloss white 🤩and I haven’t kerbed them once as the price I paid is enough to make me take my sweet time along with persistence patience in order to ensure I park without issue. However, when I got the car the alloys weren’t in great condition anyways so I got alot of kerbing out of my system. 😂😂😂 Time does make it easier so rest assured you’ll get better at parking without even realising it.
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 8:30

Just wondering....has anyone got fed up of kerbing the low profile 17" wheels / ride quality because of the low profiles..and gone to the trouble and expense of changing the wheels and tyres to something more standard ?...and if so, any idea of cost.
When I had to fit my spare just recently, I was suprised just how good that size of wheel looked within the wheel arch...i'd expected it to look a bit small..but ,no I could live with 4 of those in black..and the tyres might last longer perhaps?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 8:40

Also guys.. please read my message posted on tge Hot Wheel thread....regarding my original tyre rubbers degrading because of age and low mileage over 10 years before I bought tge car...28,000 miles in 10 years
Look out for hairline cracks on the inside and outside tyre edge, and where the tyre meets the wheel.
My front nearside tyre had a catastrophic failure whilst (fortunately) only doing 20mph following a tractor...the inside edge of the tyre parted company from the wheel rim by approx 5 inches...no puncture, tyre pressure spot on.
Could have been horrific on a motorway.
Please guys..all check your tyres. If in doubt, get tgem professionally checked
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Andyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyk Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 10:49

'Old'SeaDog wrote:Also guys.. please read my message posted on tge Hot Wheel thread....regarding my original tyre rubbers degrading because of age and low mileage over 10 years before I bought tge car...28,000 miles in 10 years
Look out for hairline cracks on the inside and outside tyre edge, and where the tyre meets the wheel.
My front nearside tyre had a catastrophic failure whilst (fortunately) only doing 20mph following a tractor...the inside edge of the tyre parted company from the wheel rim by approx 5 inches...no puncture, tyre pressure spot on.
Could have been horrific on a motorway.
Please guys..all check your tyres. If in doubt, get tgem professionally checked
I'm getting my rear tyres changed today as I noticed cracks between the tread. I presume they are original and now 9 years old.

Andy
Andyk
Andyk
The Wind in your hair

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 13:15

Nice one Andy....I suspect that many of us will be in the same boat unfortunately....but you can't put a price on safety.
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 13:43

'Old'SeaDog wrote:Just wondering....has anyone got fed up of kerbing the low profile 17" wheels / ride quality because of the low profiles..and gone to the trouble and expense of changing the wheels and tyres to something more standard ?...and if so, any idea of cost.
When I had to fit my spare just recently, I was suprised just how good that size of wheel looked within the wheel arch...i'd expected it to look a bit small..but ,no I could live with 4 of those in black..and the tyres might last longer perhaps?
A simple idea would be to go for the standard Wind 16in wheels. With their higher profile tyre they should give a better ride & not upset speedo readings etc.

Going for a tyre/wheel package which is overall smaller in diameter than standard would affect speedo & exacerbate the already low gearing on the Wind at motorway speeds.

I certainly find my standard 17 inch wheels & tyres very harsh. Improved harshness (ride & noise level) a bit when I bought a full set of Avon ZZ5 tyres.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Wed 23 Sep 2020 - 20:02

Thanks for the information pittstop...all good food for thought 👍
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down