Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Hey everyone - buying tips

3 posters

Go down

Hey everyone - buying tips Empty Hey everyone - buying tips

Post by Time Travelling Toaster Thu 5 May 2022 - 16:18

Hello People,

I've been looking around for a low insurance 2 seater roadster, stumbled on the Renault Wind and fell in love with it. I test drove one last weekend but it needed more work than I can afford right now. 

However I have found another one with around 80,000 miles on the clock and I was wondering if there is anything specific to the wind that I should be looking out for when inspecting the car? 

This will be the second car I have ever owned and the first time I've bought a used car so any tips at all would be useful 🙂

Thanks,

Time Travelling Toaster
Started the engine

Barbs and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone - buying tips Empty Re: Hey everyone - buying tips

Post by Barbs Sat 7 May 2022 - 8:50

There are a few issues with the Wind 

Check the cambelt has been changed this is more expensive on a 1.6 than a 1.2

Roof issues make sure it opens smoothly,  the roof needs to be opened regularly and greased.

At 11 ish years old the battery if it It's original it will probably need replacing. 

The wheels do kerb easily so you learn to park carefully.

There are rare models out there Red, Grey only 30 ish of those in the UK. 

We have Forums and Facebook groups here and in Europe and we are all passionate about our Winds.

So welcome on board and enjoy topless motoring.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog and Time Travelling Toaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sat 7 May 2022 - 10:02

Good information from Barbs as ever 👍
Could I add a couple more..
When the roof is closed you may probably hear creaking and cracking sounds from the roof and rear of the car.. usually cured by applying silicone grease to the rubber seals above the windscreen and rear of the roof.

If the tyres are original, most probably on a low mileage Wind, you'll need to change them as the rubber will have started to perish and crack.. check the date stamp on the tyres..the low profiles tend to crack around the wheel rim on the inside..an MOT failure.

Front suspension.. if you hear any knocks over bumps, it may be an expensive fix, probably anti roll bar bushes if your very lucky.. but the Winds low profiles don't like potholes at all..so budget for shock absorbers!

Make sure that you've got the manual roof closing tool, usually in the mauals wallet.. just in case the roof electrics fail. The rear Renault badge comes off and the tool is inserted and turned to close the roof.

Alarm going off on it's own.. check the sensor plastic pin sticking up at the front of the bonnet, next to the bonnet release.

Check the air conditioning works.. although with the roof open.. who cares !!

Hope I've not put you off... but some of the Winds out there haven't been properly loved, or had the money spent that can be necessary, but they're still a great car, a future classic and superb to drive. It will always draw admiring glances and put a smile on your face 😊. And you'll feel very superior on a sunny day as you cruise along with the roof open.. or closed !!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

bigjase1972 and Time Travelling Toaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Time Travelling Toaster Sat 7 May 2022 - 11:50

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome and all the information, it was really helpful.

I've just been to see the wind and unfortunately I wasn't blown away by it, the roof didn't work, it had 2 flat tyres and there was a decent sized lip on the brake disks. I think I'm going to save up a bit more and look for one with lower mileage.

Time Travelling Toaster
Started the engine

bigjase1972 and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sat 7 May 2022 - 15:25

Ouch... looks like one to avoid I reckon
There's a 61,000 miles black limited edition Collection model at my local car sales down here in Lydd, Kent..it's on Autotrader..think it's £4,395.. but looking around you should get a decent one for around £3,000, but you may have to travel around looking.
Personally I probably would be wary of going too cheap, and the Collection models will generally have been better looked after.
Good luck with your search.. it's the best time of year to get a convertible for sure.. but the Wind is also an awesome hard top motor, and corners like it's on rails. I once read a review that described the Wind as "being as agile and fast around corners as a housefly !!" 😃
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs and bigjase1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Tue 24 May 2022 - 20:12

Scott4567 has just posted that he's selling his Collection model..
Might be worth you messaging him ?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs and bigjase1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down