Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Advice for potential new wind owner

+3
bigjase1972
Barbs
Octoboi
7 posters

Go down

Advice for potential new wind owner  Empty Advice for potential new wind owner

Post by Octoboi Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 8:45

Hello windy peeps, first post here. Not currently a wind owner, but viewing one on Thursday and barring any issues I expect to own one (even if not that one) very soon. 

I saw one a few weeks ago driving off and just fell in love immediately. Seeing as I need a replacement car for my Toyota iq it seemed like fate to meet the wind then. 

Anyway, can anyone give me some specific tips of things to check when viewing the wind on Thursday?

I know the timing belt needs to have been changed within the last six years (it hasn’t done 60,000 miles yet)
Anything else?

Thanks in advance for your help 😘

Octoboi
Set the stereo

bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog, Cessna and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential new wind owner  Empty Re: Advice for potential new wind owner

Post by Barbs Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 9:25

Do you know how long the MOT has left that should be a good indicator that the car is ok. Plus make sure it is Blue as that is the best colour.  Very Happy

Welcome to the Forum.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

bigjase1972 and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential new wind owner  Empty Re: Advice for potential new wind owner

Post by bigjase1972 Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 9:37

Welcome to the forum!
I great place for tips on these cars!
Obviously check service history.
Check the roof and windows are working properly.
Do check they got through full motion a couple of times to make sure all is well.
Check alloys for curbing. There are a few blind spots on the Wind until you get used to the car. 😉
Also check out The Renault Wind Owners Club UK over on Facebook. Over 550 members with plenty going off.
Congratulations on a great car choice and don’t listen to Barbara, black is the best colour. 😂
Joking apart, they look great in all colours black, blue, white, red and grey.
Red and grey are rare.
You can also get a couple of special limited editions the Collection and the Gordini with numbered plaques on the inside of the back window. 😊👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

'Old'SeaDog and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 9:44

Barbs wrote:Do you know how long the MOT has left that should be a good indicator that the car is ok. Plus make sure it is Blue as that is the best colour.  Very Happy

Welcome to the Forum.
It is a blue one I’m looking at, as it happens. My favourite colour 😜

Last edited by Octoboi on Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 9:45; edited 1 time in total

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Barbs, bigjase1972 and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Tue 10 Aug 2021 - 9:45

bigjase1972 wrote:Welcome to the forum!
I great place for tips on these cars!
Obviously check service history.
Check the roof and windows are working properly.
Do check they got through full motion a couple of times to make sure all is well.
Check alloys for curbing. There are a few blind spots on the Wind until you get used to the car. 😉
Also check out The Renault Wind Owners Club UK over on Facebook. Over 550 members with plenty going off.
Congratulations on a great car choice and don’t listen to Barbara, black is the best colour. 😂
Joking apart, they look great in all colours black, blue, white, red and grey.
Red and grey are rare.
You can also get a couple of special limited editions the Collection and the Gordini with numbered plaques on the inside of the back window. 😊👍🏻
Thanks for the help - it’s good to have some suggestions from an owner. I will definitely check the roof and windows thoroughly

Octoboi
Set the stereo

bigjase1972 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim777 Wed 11 Aug 2021 - 16:34

Once you know the number plate of the Wind you are interested in, go to the gov website for mot checking, and it will list all passes and more importantly fails through the years, and see what has been repaired.

If it is one that is constantly failing then it gives an indication that the owner was doing no maintenance on the car, and just running it on a 'fail and I will get it fixed' basis.

Jim777
Took the roof down

bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog and Octoboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Wed 11 Aug 2021 - 19:12

Learning from my experience of buying a low mileage Wind... mine was 28,000... check the age of the tyres, mine had barely any wear, but I had to replace them all due to the rubber cracking with age on the inside edges ( so not visible at first glance)... one actually blew out, fortunately at low speed.
Most tyre manufacturers recommend changing tyres after 6-7 years, even if they've done no mileage, due to degrading of the tyre compound... as I know know !!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs and bigjase1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Thu 12 Aug 2021 - 21:46

Jim777 wrote:Once you know the number plate of the Wind you are interested in, go to the gov website for mot checking, and it will list all passes and more importantly fails through the years, and see what has been repaired.

If it is one that is constantly failing then it gives an indication that the owner was doing no maintenance on the car, and just running it on a 'fail and I will get it fixed' basis.
That’s really sensible, helpful, simple advise. Thanks Jim

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Thu 12 Aug 2021 - 21:48

So I viewed the car this morning and fell in love. I should be able to pick it up next week, they are just checking some history for me and having it serviced etc.

I literally can’t wait 😜

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Barbs, bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog, poole_545 and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Thu 12 Aug 2021 - 21:56

Octoboi wrote:So I viewed the car this morning and fell in love. I should be able to pick it up next week, they are just checking some history for me and having it serviced etc.

I literally can’t wait 😜
Let's hope that the sunshine lasts to give some quality "roof off" driving opportunities, but if not..don't worry, it's just as much fun with the roof closed...
Get ready for constantly smiling when you're behind the wheel...and not having to brake going round tight corners !!
Your new Wind will change direction as fast as a housefly...they are just superb, the Renaultsport influence is really evident

Enjoy !!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Thu 12 Aug 2021 - 22:07

I didn’t get to drive it roof down today even because of the weather. So that joy is yet to come. Got to play with the roof plenty once we are back at the lot tho, typical British weather lol

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjase1972 Thu 12 Aug 2021 - 22:15

Brilliant news! You will love it.
Wait for the looks and people coming up to you asking what it is too and saying “I’ve never seen one of those before “ 😊👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

'Old'SeaDog, Jim777 and Octoboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Fri 13 Aug 2021 - 8:50

bigjase1972 wrote:Brilliant news! You will love it.
Wait for the looks and people coming up to you asking what it is too and saying “I’ve never seen one of those before “ 😊👍🏻
That was me literally a week ago - crazy that I have now bought one 😂

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Barbs and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Mon 16 Aug 2021 - 7:19

Hope you enjoy the new purchase.

Re the serial number plate for the Collection, the dealer who sold me mine didn't know what it was till he saw me looking in the window to read it. Mine is 029. When I explained it was a limited edition  I got the impression he would have charged more had he known so let's keep this nugget quiet for future customers. 

A couple of things that might save you some anxiety ....I spent the first few trips worrying about the audible clunk everytime I pulled away until I learned that the central locking activates at 4mph and if you forget to latch the roof when you stop the boot doesn't open !

Have fun.

Mac
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Mon 16 Aug 2021 - 8:14

The boot not opening caught me out in Tescos car park on a sunny day.. was in such a rush to get some wine that I closed the roof but forgot to latch... had me properly puzzled when I couldn't get into the boot.. the doors unlocked !! ... so it was a process of elimination... doh !!!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs and bigjase1972 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Tue 17 Aug 2021 - 13:18

Latest update, the timing belt has been changed and the other bits have been done as agreed - looks like I’m collecting it on Thursday!

Exciting

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Barbs, bigjase1972 and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Wed 18 Aug 2021 - 9:07

Octoboi wrote:Latest update, the timing belt has been changed and the other bits have been done as agreed - looks like I’m collecting it on Thursday!

Exciting
No sleep for you tonight lol

I still remember that feeling.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Fri 20 Aug 2021 - 9:50

Absolutely loving the wind so far, thanks everyone for your support. It’s so much fun to drive!

Octoboi
Set the stereo

Barbs, bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjase1972 Fri 20 Aug 2021 - 9:59

Great cars and a future classic mate!😉👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

Barbs, 'Old'SeaDog, Octoboi and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Octoboi Sun 22 Aug 2021 - 21:47

Took my friend out in it this morning, and the look on his face when I did the roof - he couldn’t work out what was going on initially lol

Octoboi
Set the stereo

bigjase1972, 'Old'SeaDog and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjase1972 Sun 22 Aug 2021 - 21:56

It’s a great party piece isn’t it!😊👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sun 22 Aug 2021 - 22:00

I love opening or closing the roof when stuck in a line of traffic at traffic lights... I make sure that there's a car behind me, ideally with passengers watching... then activate the roof and watch their faces 😂 !!
Great fun !!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs, Johno.0, Purple Turtle, Octoboi and MJK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MJK Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 9:10

Barbs wrote:Do you know how long the MOT has left that should be a good indicator that the car is ok. Plus make sure it is Blue as that is the best colour.  Very Happy

Welcome to the Forum.
Hahaha - blue all the way! Unfortunately my alloys need some TLC. But as I'm planning on keeping her for as long as I can, it's work in progress. Everything else seems tickety boo

MJK
Started the engine

Barbs and 'Old'SeaDog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down