Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Tuning, Mapping and Mods

4 posters

Go down

Tuning, Mapping and Mods Empty Tuning, Mapping and Mods

Post by JohnVNTo Wed 13 Jan 2021 - 20:10

Hi everyone. I'm John, and I've just bought myself a rather nice GT Line 1.6 in Blue.
I've always been a fan of quirky French cars, and have owned a string of Peugoets, an original Citroen DS, and until recently owned three Avantimes.
However, I am absolutely delighted with this Wind- my 43rd car- and think that it is truly underrated. All my friends think it is a bit of a "hairdressers car" G O offence intended!) and a bit "girlie", and I do imagine most are owned by females.
But what a chassis! Amazingly tight and flat in corners, no scuttle shake and glued to the road, with surprisingly little understatement.
This leads me to believe the car could easily handle a lot more Torque and Power.
I chose the 1.6 vvt as I intend to do a lot of miles touring Europe- the huge boot will come in to its own here- and unfortunately it's not as easy to simply "chip and re-map" as the smaller turbo model.

However, the guys at K-sport racing have special kits for the Twingo Sport including a new high-lift cams, a new sports exhaust and manifold, plus of course a remap.
I guess different air filters might help too.

They claim 163bhp
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Could make it a phenomenal Q-car!

JohnVNTo
Started the engine

bigjase1972 and poole_545 like this post

Back to top Go down

Tuning, Mapping and Mods Empty Re: Tuning, Mapping and Mods

Post by bigjase1972 Wed 13 Jan 2021 - 21:10

The BMC air filters are supposed to be one of the best for these Renault engines. Highley recommended by the Twingo RS owners on the Twingo Facebook club. Removing the flap out of the side of the air filter box makes it sound more throaty too.
Add a cat back custom exhaust and it seems to sharpen throttle response and sounds great.
As I said, the Twingo Facebook Owners Club would probably steer you in the right direction for other engine mods.
Possibly some ideas from the members of the Renault Wind Owners Club on Facebook too. 😊👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnVNTo Wed 13 Jan 2021 - 21:38

Thanks for that.
I will certainly have a look at the Twingo Forum , as the air filters could be bybfarvtye most cost effective.

Thanks again,

John

JohnVNTo
Started the engine

bigjase1972 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 14 Jan 2021 - 12:09

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I also have a 1.6 (a GT Line) which we bought to replace an MGTF 160 which was a great drive but as we were getting older we wanted softer suspension & aircon.

I've often thought that the TF160 engine in the Wind would be a great combination so if you can get 160bhp by other means it sounds like a good way to go.

Like you we have for many years done motoring holidays in Europe. Previously in MGTFs, Alfa Spider V6, Merc SLK, MGBs, & Triumph TR7s. the last 5 yrs in the Wind which is excellent at the job apart from being geared at approx 18.5mph per 1000 rpm which means when cruising at 80mph on the autoroutes one is running at 4300 rpm & only 35mpg. The auto aircon is also a boon; even with the roof open; when visiting the Med.

It also carries a full set of golf clubs & a folding electric trolley in the boot!

ENJOY!!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by poole_545 Mon 18 Jan 2021 - 15:38

"But what a chassis! Amazingly tight and flat in corners, no scuttle shake and glued to the road, with surprisingly little understatement.
This leads me to believe the car could easily handle a lot more Torque and Power.
I chose the 1.6 vvt as I intend to do a lot of miles touring Europe- the huge boot will come in to its own here".

I couldn't agree more John! I use my 1.6 for grassroots motorsport, Autotest /slalom and it's fantastic, soon to be used for Sprints too when Covid allows. I've completed various mods for competing and enjoy it on the road too. I've owned varied cars/motorbikes and the Wind is right up there for fun factor.

I have investigated more power, agreed it'll take more easily, and K-Tec is 10 miles from me so I took mine there for review. Cam kit is one route but expensive for modest gains. Another is their Rotrex supercharger kit (typically for Clio but would suit our 1.6 K4MRS engine) which would offer greater gains. The latter is the route I'm considering.

Best,
Simon
poole_545
poole_545
Started the engine

bigjase1972 and Roadster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjase1972 Mon 18 Jan 2021 - 17:10

Would be interesting how you get on with the supercharger route?
What gains BHP and for how much?
I’m sure a few of the younger crowd on the Facebook club page would be interested too. 🤔😊👍🏻
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down