Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

4 posters

Go down

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring Empty MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Post by Jackalope1981 Fri 20 Mar 2020 - 15:39

Hi, sadly my Wind 1.2tce GT line just failed it's mot. The garage says they can't get the parts so I need to. It's failed on the nearside front coil spring so needs a new one of them, and the front lower arm and Ball joint needs replacing. I've had a look on eBay but the parts can be quite pricey so I don't want to order them and find out I got the wrong bit. Does anyone know a good place to order from? Thank you!

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring Empty Re: MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Post by pittstop Fri 20 Mar 2020 - 19:01

The need to replace the whole front wishbone (suspension arm) when the ball joints or even just their rubbers fail is; in my opinion; a major design fault by Renault. 

The same must apply to the similar aged Twingo & earlier Clio; both built in Renault's Slovenian factory which also built the Wind: whose floor pan & underpinnings the Wind shares so Renault should still stock these parts.

They are costly: I had to have both mine done purely because of rubber seal failures.

Renault supplied these; at a price; & I am unsure whether they can be obtained elsewhere.

Coil springs? With today's potholed roads spring failure is in the lap of the gods.

Ideally springs should be replaced in pairs  but cost & labour time considerations made me replace just one front spring on my daughters 2008 Audi TTS with no obvious impact on handling etc. Trouble is if you replace only one then you should use a Renault part to as closely as possible match the; admittedly worn; Renault original on the other side.

Perhaps the testers from Top Gear might notice the difference in handling but most of us live in the real motoring world.

Sadly I have no knowledge of trusted more reasonably priced parts.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring Empty Re: MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Post by Jackalope1981 Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 15:37

I did manage to find everything on eBay for £180 in total. Garage is fitting it all on Tuesday, assuming the parts are the actual correct ones. First time I've had to source parts for myself, even with my Alfa, which was twice as old, I never had to do that before so I've convinced myself they'll ring and say it's all wrong. This all happened while I was in the middle of moving house and then the pandemic happened, so for long and complicated reasons, the car itself is in Sunderland at my mother in law's house while I'm now living in Portsmouth.

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 22 Jun 2020 - 8:20

What type of Alfa did you have.

I had a 2001 Alfa Spider 3.0 V6 for a while.

I loved it.

Beautiful to look at & real hooligan when trying to get V6 power down through just 205 section tyres
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackalope1981 Mon 22 Jun 2020 - 8:35

It was a 156 2.0 Selespeed. Fully loaded with all extras. It was gorgeous. Stupid garage fit the wrong sparkplugs, one exploded and set the coil pack and the rest of the engine on fire.

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 22 Jun 2020 - 11:49

Jackalope1981 wrote:It was a 156 2.0 Selespeed. Fully loaded with all extras. It was gorgeous. Stupid garage fit the wrong sparkplugs, one exploded and set the coil pack and the rest of the engine on fire.
What a nightmare. I hope they took financial responsibility.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackalope1981 Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 10:28

Good news is all the parts I sourced from eBay were the correct ones, a total of £180 in the end, then £90 for labour and my Wind has its MOT. Gonna be driving up in a few weeks to collect it, so I'm hoping there's good weather as I wanna try and drive all the way back with the roof down.

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackalope1981 Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 10:34

pittstop wrote:
Jackalope1981 wrote:It was a 156 2.0 Selespeed. Fully loaded with all extras. It was gorgeous. Stupid garage fit the wrong sparkplugs, one exploded and set the coil pack and the rest of the engine on fire.
What a nightmare. I hope they took financial responsibility.

Yeah, got compensation which went towards the Wind. I was looking for a first gen Twingo, as I really just wanted a small, fun commuter as my wife now has a larger car, then remembered that I'd always liked the Wind and checked out the prices and was surprised by how cheap they sell for now.

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Barbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjase1972 Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 19:00

Glad to hear you got it all sorted Jackalope1981!
Have you joined The Renault Wind Owners Club UK on Facebook?
We have 208 members now and lots of helpful people along with one who works for Renault parts department, which comes in handy when wanting to know part numbers and what not!😊👍🏻
Everyone who loves the Wind is welcome and no one outside the club can see anything you post!
bigjase1972
bigjase1972
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackalope1981 Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 19:03

Thanks, gone and sent a join request!

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

bigjase1972 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by klivey Sat 29 May 2021 - 10:51

My front coil spring snapped and managed to buy a pair from Germany. About £80 and a pair of track rod ends.

Note, tired to buy a driveshaft from Renault and they don't stock them any more.
You can buy cv joints kits and all Bearings on ebay. Some cv joints come with reluctor rings for ABS.

klivey
Started the engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down