Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

New cam belt and water pump

Go down

New cam belt and water pump Empty New cam belt and water pump

Post by Bunyip Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 5:14

After issues around cost and difficulties fitting a cam belt to a 1.6 VVT Wind and deciding eventually that it was cost effective to swap it for a 1.2 - I just had my cambelt changed. 
It turns out that even on the 1.2 it is not a straight forward job, remove, front wheel, undertray, inner arch lining, the cambelt is burried deep in the engine and the water pump is also located in a difficult place. 
As its a job that any manufacturer would know needs doing why do they make it such a hard job to access and remove?
Parts £160 - labour the rest total bill £404, I have been using the same trustworthy guy for years and we have a great relationship, I have never felt ripped off by him and he services mine and the wifes cars. 
He said when he looked it up on his laptop it recommended removal of the front bumper as well but he said if he could manage to do the job without removing it he would as it just adds labour costs onto the job. 
In the end he said that removing the front bumper would have made no difference to making the cam belt any easier to access. 
Any way the job is now done he said that even although my Wind has only covered 11,700 miles that the belt was showing signs of age and wear so it was as well that I’d had it done the car will be 7 years old on 31/12. 
So there you have it really, if your car is more than 6 years old have the job done irrespective of mileage, hope my sharing helps and be aware of people who offer a cheap job as the labour costs will be the biggest factor and to be honest how can any mechanic prove to you that they’ve actually done the job in the first place especially if your not very mechanically savey. 
Its all to easy to be ripped off - I told my mechanic - with a cheeky grin “ dont worry Denis you wont have to do this job for another 6 years” lol, lol.
Bunyip
Bunyip
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

New cam belt and water pump Empty Re: New cam belt and water pump

Post by Bunyip Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 5:24

As an aside the 1.6VVT engine has to be locked off with a special tool, cost and availability of which is uncertain. 
My main dealership quoted me over £1,000 to do the job, including cost of hire car while they fixed it, it was at that point I decided to consider buying another Wind, which it transpires was the best decision and I’m glad I made that choice. 
I love my Wind bless him lol!
Bunyip
Bunyip
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down