Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Delayed action power steering

3 posters

Go down

Delayed action power steering Empty Delayed action power steering

Post by renton beersworth Tue 2 Feb 2021 - 11:49

My Renault Wind had not been used for a couple of weeks and had been tucked away in my garage. Started up easily as usual and pulled out, in a straight line. Attempted to turn right into the road and noticed the steering quite heavy as if no assistence was available. Stopped and ran the engine 3 to 4 minutes around 1200 rpm and the power assistance returned to normal. This has happended once before under similar circumstances and I fixed it in the same way. Had a chat with a non renault mechanic I know he suggested that as as its electrically assisted that maybe the charging system favours charging the battery before it allows power to the power steering pump. This does sound plausible. I intend changing the power steering fluid and adding some Forte power steering treatment, which I have used before on an old Jaguar which had stiffness, shudder and noise on the steering, and it worked a treat.
Any comments or info from anyone on this matter would be helpful. R.B.

renton beersworth
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Delayed action power steering Empty Re: Delayed action power steering

Post by pittstop Wed 3 Feb 2021 - 12:08

Electric power steering is very different from hydraulic in that there is no pump or other hydraulic pipes etc.

Inputs from steering wheel movement stimulate an electric motor which assists the turning of the steering column.

That said I don't have detailed knowledge re electric power steering fault diagnosis.

With some systems; not just power steering; starting up the car; whilst stationary; then pulling the fuse to that function; at this point your power steering warning light will come on; then replacing it after a few minutes can "reset" the function. Can't do any harm
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

renton beersworth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Delayed action power steering Empty re : delayed action power steering

Post by renton beersworth Wed 3 Feb 2021 - 19:42

Hello Pittstop , and thanks for your considered comment, I have not got around to doing anything just yet, its a bit cold and inclement outside to be working in the driveway
or an unheated garage. In the first instance I will change the fluid as described in my earlier piece and see how it goes. If I have further problems I will pull the fuse as you have suggested. 

I will report back in due course. R.B.

renton beersworth
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistydogblue Wed 3 Feb 2021 - 20:08

RB as it is electric power steering there is not power steering fluid to change.

Mistydogblue
Put the sunglasses on

renton beersworth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Delayed action power steering Empty Re delayed action power steering

Post by renton beersworth Thu 4 Feb 2021 - 10:49

OK so no power steering fluid to change, good job I did not waste my money on the Forte fluid, I think its about 15 quid.

So maybe the electrical system favouring charging the battery before the power steer is possible.

I am not using the car much right now due to the weather. I will see how things develop and keep you posted.

Thanks to all who contributed. R.B.

renton beersworth
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down