Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

1.6 mpg and MAP sensor

3 posters

Go down

1.6 mpg and MAP sensor Empty 1.6 mpg and MAP sensor

Post by Timtnx Wed 20 May 2020 - 18:19

So I've just been surprised by a little job I did which has upped my mpg significantly. If you've never cleaned your MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor then now may be the time to do it. My 1.6 engine was averaging about 33 mpg and suffered from hesitation on pulling away, today (first time out since doing the work) averaged 37.7mpg and no hesitation.....very pleased. Its only a case of unplugging the lead and pulling the sensor out of the manifold so easy to do. On the 1.6 it is on the top rear of the manifold at the cambelt end. I just used some intake cleaner but carb cleaner would be OK too from what I've read. Spray into the sensor opening and then leave to dry for a few minutes.
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

1.6 mpg and MAP sensor Empty Re: 1.6 mpg and MAP sensor

Post by Barbs Wed 20 May 2020 - 20:56

OK if you have your skills will mention it to my mechanic when I see him again.

Unless you fancy doing a step by step diagram or photos. 

Pretty Please it will be easy for people to find on here if anyone wasn't part of the post of Facebook. xx
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Wed 20 May 2020 - 21:08

Ok barbs :-) see picture attached. The image is of the top of the left hand end of the inlet manifold. The sensor is the black plastic square part and there is a plug coming into the back of it from the bulkhead behind the engine. You have to lift the securing clip while pulling the plug off towards the bulkhead, bit of gentle wiggling should work. Once this is clear the sensor can be pulled upwards out of the manifold. It's held in by two rubber O rings so again a bit of gentle wiggling should work. Once out turn it upside down and you'll see a hole down the middle of the cylinder that fits into the manifold. Spray some cleaner (carb or inlet) into the hole, leave for a few seconds turn over and shake out, repeat a couple of times and then leave to dry. Putting back in you will find the O rings will need a bit of lubrication to help them in, so a tiny coating of some silicone grease or similar will do the trick.1.6 mpg and MAP sensor Fb_img11
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Wed 20 May 2020 - 21:49

Thank you it's in the filing cabinet for when someone mentions a problem. My Blue Boy is currently doing 8 weeks to the gallon.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Wed 20 May 2020 - 21:59

https://youtu.be/CilAxCfv2MY this YouTube video is not exactly the same but it shows what you're looking for and it is in the right location.
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Wed 20 May 2020 - 22:01

I know what you mean about weeks to the gallon mine is the same and with unleaded now at 99.7 a litre that's a bit annoying..... Lol
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Wed 8 Jul 2020 - 21:07

Hi, does this apply to the 1.2 as well?

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Thu 9 Jul 2020 - 11:16

Hi, the 1.2 does have a map sensor, it's under the plastic air intake pipework in the middle of the intake manifold at the front of the engine. The 1.2 sensor is bolted in, not just push in, which I think is due to the manifold being under pressure from the turbo as opposed to being in vacuum with a naturally aspirated engine. It seems to be less of an issue than the 1.6 probably because it is in the middle of the manifold and not at the dead end as it is on the 1.6 always worth a check though for a few minutes of effort.
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Fri 10 Jul 2020 - 9:30

Yeah, my car has a distinct stutter when pulling away and has crap fuel economy, so I thought it would be one more thing to tick off my list of possible culprits.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Fri 10 Jul 2020 - 9:54

If its clean then it may be failing, they're not expensive to replace so might be worth considering
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down