Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

MPG. is rubbish!

+2
Johno.0
jmee54
6 posters

Go down

MPG. is rubbish! Empty MPG. is rubbish!

Post by jmee54 Wed 6 May 2020 - 14:02

Hi all,
My 1.2 seems to be averaging 35mpg now. I am sure it was around 40 when I bought it, which in my mind is pretty rubbish, so 35 is the same as I get from my motorhome.

Is there anything I should be looking at to improve this abysmal fuel economy? Are there any modifications I can do to improve it?

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

MPG. is rubbish! Empty Re: MPG. is rubbish!

Post by Johno.0 Thu 7 May 2020 - 0:10

I had a judder when pulling away in first gear which I haven’t had for what seems to be ages now! However, because of this I went through the ignition system replacing everything, then fuel line, etc... and the other day I got just over 40 on mpg, (1.2 here as well). Not entirely sure what I replaced might have affected the fuel economy, maybe it all did but it could be worth looking there? I’ve noticed better fuel economy for a few days now, and I’m a very enthusiastic driver. 😅😅
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Thu 7 May 2020 - 9:45

Getting 45.3mpg....according to the read-out anyway....
Mine's a 1.2 as well, so 35mpg is seriously low. Have you had it serviced recently?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 7 May 2020 - 10:25

An average of mixed driving for my 1.6 is about 34mpg which I find reasonable considering the low overall gearing & the close ratio gearbox. Let's face it the 133 1.6 engine was good in it's day re performance but it is pretty long in the tooth re fuel efficiency.

BUT: The 1.2 was Renault's early move into efficient tiny turbos so; unless you are really pushing it 35 mpg does seem poor.

The suggestion of checking out the ignition system is a good one. I noticed a difference on mine after changing plugs & coil packs. Renault recommend plug changes at 36000mls but no time limit unlike say the air filter recommendation which is 54000 mls or 4 yrs. Personally I change my air filter much more often which could be another area for you to look at.Hope you work it out.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno.0 Thu 7 May 2020 - 12:38

I change my air filter every 3000 miles, I’d never leave it that long. I suppose that’s good in a way though as it means things are built to last longer... I hope.
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 7 May 2020 - 16:21

Is that 3000 or 30000miles?

If it's 3000 it takes me back to my MGBs when I had to get out the grease gun on the suspension & steering every 2500 mls!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Sat 9 May 2020 - 23:03

The service light has just come on and the car was serviced a year ago when I bought it. 45mpg would be great. To be honest, apart from the odd rush of blood, Cornish lanes are not too conducive to over spirited driving - tractors joggers and horses have caused brown trouser moments several times, so it would seem that something needs looking into. Should I just start replacing parts as mentioned above (Johno.0) and hope for the best (can I reset the service light?) or do I need to get it plugged into some technology? Difficult under the present circumstances.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno.0 Sat 9 May 2020 - 23:29

This is the link for the service light reset: https://youtu.be/85t6kpuEw_M
I tend to service the car myself as I don’t always trust that a full service means a full service if you know what I mean.
I’ll only take it to a garage if I am unable to do it myself, like engine removal or new clutch, etc... I would have thought you’d see an increase after a service. I always “splash out” on new parts for my car as I do think you get what you pay for! Let us know how you get on.
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 10 May 2020 - 10:28

Johno.0 wrote:This is the link for the service light reset: https://youtu.be/85t6kpuEw_M
I tend to service the car myself as I don’t always trust that a full service means a full service if you know what I mean.
I’ll only take it to a garage if I am unable to do it myself, like engine removal or new clutch, etc... I would have thought you’d see an increase after a service. I always “splash out” on new parts for my car as I do think you get what you pay for! Let us know how you get on.
Johno:  I identify with that. I also do everything I can on the driveway myself. 
Some garage's description of a "full service" can be debatable to say the least.

Re Jamee's driving conditions: Even though you aren't going very fast I guess you must spend a lot of time in the lower gears which can impact significantly on your mpg.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by D Sun 10 May 2020 - 12:11

In terms of MPG have you checked tyre pressures as they are often forgotten about and can have big impact. Also with the good weather has it been a lot of driving with roof/windows down and air con on? All the little things can add up alongside a proper service to change fluids, filters, plugs etc

D
Cruising down the highway

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Tue 12 May 2020 - 6:54

My mpg is always around 42 for the 1.2 and around 36 for the 1.6, same roads, same speeds etc, so around 17% higher for the 1.2.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Tue 12 May 2020 - 19:14

Oil filter, oil, air filter. What else would you change in my position? Plugs. coil pack?

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by jmee54 Tue 12 May 2020 - 19:17

PS. I have been driving with the roof down over the last few weeks, but only down to the beach 40mph max and the mpg has been 35 for some months now - with same sort of driving. I will give the tyres a check too.

jmee54
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum