Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Induction Flap/Plug 1.6 VVT

4 posters

Go down

Induction Flap/Plug 1.6 VVT Empty Induction Flap/Plug 1.6 VVT

Post by pittstop Sun 29 May 2016 - 17:08

According to write ups at the time Renaultsport did tune the exhaust system on the 1.6 VVT Wind to give some aural pleasure with the roof down but it seems they also had another little treat for those of us who like to "feel the noise".

On the left side of the air intake is a rubber flap, about the size of a credit card, that can be removed to up the intake sound when going for higher revs, whilst being no noisier than normal on constant throttle openings.

Took mine off. Then put it back to properly assess the difference. Then took it off again & threw it in the glove compartment where it still resides. 

What's not to like: cruising just as refined as before but a definite hard edge to the intake noise when giving it some welly.

Sad to say no increase in bhp is claimed for this so called "track day" mod which was aimed at Twingo 133 owners.

Much simpler that the induction tuning echo chamber that was fitted to my Alfa 3.0 V6 Spider which looked like a large ocarina stuck on the side of the intake pipe?

Just one tip. If you don't like the noise & wish to replace the flap spray it with a little silicon lubricant to assist fitment.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Induction Flap/Plug 1.6 VVT Empty Re: Induction Flap/Plug 1.6 VVT

Post by knebby Tue 31 May 2016 - 21:30

I'd forgotten about this cos last time it did the rounds I was in the 1.2. I took the bung out of the 1.6 today and it sounds great. Ive googled a few sites and some say it might add a few mph, some say it loses a few mph but most say it doesn't affect it at all. From half a day bungless I'd say it felt that the engine was breathing easier and was a bit more responsive. Probably just my imagination though from feeling boy racerish.!
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris s Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 19:23

Thank you both for the information  Very Happy
Chris s
Chris s
Started the engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit197 Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 2:30

I've tried this over the last week. Not noticed any change in fuel economy or performance as yet, but I do prefer the sound.
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 4 Jul 2018 - 14:58

Just returned from a trip to the Med where temps were up to 36 C .

Whilst I like the bung out; sound wise; it does increase the proportion of hot; engine compartment; air that enters the system & ideally one should seek cool induction air. 

So: I put it back in for the holiday.

Now I'm back I've taken it out again!!

Did I make any real difference by replacing it for the trip? 

Who knows: driving conditions were so different that there was no point in comparing mpgs; but I felt better for it!!.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down