Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Dashboard illumination

5 posters

Go down

Dashboard illumination Empty Dashboard illumination

Post by RogerS Thu 17 Dec 2020 - 20:35

I'm new to the forum and wonder if anybody can help with a couple of problems I have with my wifes Renault Wind. During daytime there is no illumination on the binnacle ie speedo and rev counter. We end up using the side lights during the day to light up the binnacle. The computer shows the illumination as maximum. In addition to that some of the heater controls do not light up at night. I assume one of the lamps has gone but can't see how to access them. Any help would be appreciated.

RogerS
Started the engine

Back to top Go down

Dashboard illumination Empty Re: Dashboard illumination

Post by pittstop Fri 18 Dec 2020 - 9:54

Welcome Aboard the Forum.

The dashboard visibility is a design fault on the Wind exacerbated by how deep set the instruments are. 

When, a few years ago, I followed this up with a main dealer & Renault's on line enquiry facility they offered no cure.

Driving round on sidelights seems to be the only answer.

Why not drive on sidelights plus fog lights which would look like daytime running lights?

By the time I'd thought of this I'd already fitted DRLs as can be seen in the picture of my car.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Fri 18 Dec 2020 - 22:53

pittstop wrote:Welcome Aboard the Forum.

The dashboard visibility is a design fault on the Wind exacerbated by how deep set the instruments are. 

When, a few years ago, I followed this up with a main dealer & Renault's on line enquiry facility they offered no cure.

Driving round on sidelights seems to be the only answer.

Why not drive on sidelights plus fog lights which would look like daytime running lights?

By the time I'd thought of this I'd already fitted DRLs as can be seen in the picture of my car.

I must admit to driving with sidelights and fog lights in poor light conditions..
My latest plan is to fit white LED fog lamps...but I'm not sure if they'd be legal...?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sat 19 Dec 2020 - 9:51

I rewired the fog lights on my MGTF so they were ignition linked, rather than connected to the lighting circuits, like DRLs.

Dead simple just straightforward 12v electrics

I then put in LED bulbs as you suggest.

It worked really well & no complaints from MoT tester.

I wanted to do the same for the Wind but the electronics; I believe the lights are controlled by their own mini "ECU"; made unlinking from lighting circuits & linking to ignition a task I decided was beyond my auto electric skills.

Instead I fitted aftermarket DRLs linked to the power socket feed which is ignition linked.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sat 19 Dec 2020 - 11:24

pittstop wrote:I rewired the fog lights on my MGTF so they were ignition linked, rather than connected to the lighting circuits, like DRLs.

Dead simple just straightforward 12v electrics

I then put in LED bulbs as you suggest.

It worked really well & no complaints from MoT tester.

I wanted to do the same for the Wind but the electronics; I believe the lights are controlled by their own mini "ECU"; made unlinking from lighting circuits & linking to ignition a task I decided was beyond my auto electric skills.

Instead I fitted aftermarket DRLs linked to the power socket feed which is ignition linked.

Yes, I remember that you've also fitted a switch to the DRLs from the 12v socket ?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sun 20 Dec 2020 - 9:52

In case the MoT objected to my DRLs; I believed they were a little further in from the outside edges of the car than specified on new cars; I inserted an in line fuse between the power source & the DRLs.which I could just pull out to disable them. It also protects against any short circuit should my wiring chafe against any metalwork.

Having done this I then read this extract from a letter from the DFT to someone who had queried the fitting of after market DRLs.

"Currently DRLs are not inspected as part of the MOT and retro-fitting DRL
will not result in a test failure regardless of their placement.  If
future changes to the MOT scheme bring DRL within the scope, consideration
will need to be given as to how to treat retro-fitted DR"

So no problem there for now.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Dashboard illumination Empty Dashbosrd illumination

Post by Roadster Sun 3 Jan 2021 - 19:19

Hey there, I can't halp with the technical side of things, but can give you I go about driving with your fogs on. I was told, in Scotland, it could get you 3 points on your license and a fine - as for England that might not be the case, but the advice seems to be don't drive with them on...
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q400.htm#:~:text=XYZ-,Q400%3A%20A%20lot%20of%20cars%20have%20their%20fog%20lights%20on,can%20obscure%20your%20brake%20lights.

Roadster
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sun 3 Jan 2021 - 22:37

Roadster wrote:Hey there, I can't halp with the technical side of things, but can give you I go about driving with your fogs on. I was told, in Scotland, it could get you 3 points on your license and a fine - as for England that might not be the case, but the advice seems to be don't drive with them on...
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q400.htm#:~:text=XYZ-,Q400%3A%20A%20lot%20of%20cars%20have%20their%20fog%20lights%20on,can%20obscure%20your%20brake%20lights.

Thanks for the information Roadster....I'll bear this in mind in future, it's definitely not worth the risk of attracting the unwanted attentions of the Boys in Blue...!!
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Roadster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 4 Jan 2021 - 9:46

Recently saw a weird take on DRLs.

A car I was following had LED DRLs; similar to mine; fitted to the rear of the car above the number plate with the LEDs shining "backwards".

That can't be legal!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Mon 4 Jan 2021 - 10:19

pittstop wrote:Recently saw a weird take on DRLs.

A car I was following had LED DRLs; similar to mine; fitted to the rear of the car above the number plate with the LEDs shining "backwards".

That can't be legal!

I've seen white LED number plate bulbs too...they don't look at all right...
I've noticed that Halfords sell them...so must be legal
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by D Mon 4 Jan 2021 - 20:51

Technically speaking no LED bulbs are not legal in UK vehicles. There is specific and detailed legislation that states vehicle bulbs carry a British standard mark (usually the E Mark) and/or be certain watts. LEDs do not have that Mark and the legislation was never written with them in mind so at best it is a grey area.

D
Cruising down the highway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down