Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Hot wheel!

5 posters

Go down

Hot wheel! Empty Hot wheel!

Post by Grays2020 Mon 21 Sep 2020 - 21:11

Any suggestions as to what might be causing near side front tyre to become very hot after a short 10-12 mile drive , driving at max 60mph.

Grays2020
Set the stereo

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hot wheel! Empty Re: Hot wheel!

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 9:44

My nearside front tyre suffered a catastrophic failure yesterday...whilst mercifully driving relatively slowly...it's weird...the inside wall of the tyre had separated from the wheel rim for around a quarter of tlhe circumference of the wheel..there is no damage to the tyre wall, or the wheel rim, no puncture evidence across the width of the tyre, or on the outside wall. My tyres are 17" low profiles, and the pressures are all correct and regularly checked. I was able to fit the spare....although the location of the reinforced jacking points is a bit of a mystery..??. I've got a decent quality replacement on order for £80 including fitting etc for later today, so will see if the tyre fitters have any idea what happened......buy I had noticed that when checking the pressure on that tyre, that the wheel did always seem warmer...also the tread had worn far more on that tyre...ironically the tyre that failed was the only Michelin..possibly original tyre on the car...could age be a factor ??
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistydogblue Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 11:14

Was it just the tyre that was hot or was the wheel hot as well? Usually heat in the wheel means the brake calliper or pads are sticking or the wheel bearing needs changed. Jack up the wheel and try spinning it by hand to see if it is free.

Mistydogblue
Put the sunglasses on

fordprefect4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 13:32

That's worrying. As Misty says usual cause of build up of heat in a front wheel is sticking calliper or possible a duff wheel bearing. Only other possibility is you picked up a puncture & effectively had a "blow out"
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Grays2020 Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 14:15

I only felt the tyre, which was very hot. Will check the wheel itself en route to the garage, so I can at least give them the low down. Many thanks for the suggestions from you all.

Grays2020
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 20:00

Update on my tyre failure...
On close inspection from my trusted tyre expert...he discovered no puncture, or sign of damage or adverse pressure problems...BUT...He did find that the rubber was covered in hairline cracks around the inner and outer walls of the tyre...and the same around the inside rim of the tyre...in his opinion, and bearing in mind that from thd date code on the inner edge of the tyre, that this was possibly an original tyre...the rubber had degraded with age and caused the catastrophic tyre failure. I have another tyre on the rear that is starting to crack in the same way...so that's being replaced tomorrow. I can understand the tyre degradation..as the car has only done 32000 in 10 years, so has sat around for most of its life. I'll be keeping a close eye on all my tyres in the future for certain.
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Grays2020 Tue 22 Sep 2020 - 20:04

Will get mine checked out ASAP. Hoping I’m covered under the RAC warranty but not holding my breath.

Grays2020
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwkey61 Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 18:17

Many moons ago I had an Austin Allegro, same thing one front wheel getting quite hot even on short trips. While driving along one day I heard a ping and thunk, the car went down on the [luckily] nearside and slammed into the kerb. I could see the wheel bouncing down the road and sent my wife off to to get it. On examination the brake disc had split in two! I fixed it myself from the scrappers and took it into a garage to be checked and yes the caliper had been sticking, the guy said it was "heat fatigue"... so be warned
johnwkey61
johnwkey61
Took the roof down

https://sites.google.com/site/johnshouse61/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Grays2020 Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 18:45

Update. Finally the hot wheel issue is sorted. Turns out the brake caliper had jammed so new unit unit had to be fitted. After several days of the garage arguing with the warranty company, the part was replaced under warranty after their initial refusal to cover any of the repair costs.

Grays2020
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 5 Oct 2020 - 8:58

Always pays to fight for your rights.

Good that it's sorted.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Mon 5 Oct 2020 - 17:12

Nice one 👍....a good mystery solved. Mine is going back into the garage at the end of the week for a knocking NSF shock absorber.....at least that's what they think it is. I'll get my brake calipers checked at the same time.
Anybody else's Wind becoming a money pit ?
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down