Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Please help!

3 posters

Go down

Please help! Empty Please help!

Post by Johno.0 Fri 17 Apr 2020 - 22:55

I’m having a terrible time with the car at the moment. I have a rumble in first gear and after going through the motions have managed to make the rumble less noticeable but it is still there and does worsen after about 6 hours of driving. The rumble or judder happens when I pull away in first gear. I’m now going to try and see if changing the fuel filter will help at all as when I had a full service done on the car they told me it had a lifetime filter and did not need replacing under normal conditions. I’ve never heard of such a thing but just took their word for it. Could you help me locate it? And any ideas on what could be causing the judder would be most welcome. I did think like another person here that it involved the clutch, etc... but it was inspected and told nothing was wrong with it and not worth changing. I’m at my wits end, which is a shame as I love the car but it’s not enjoyable to drive anymore with the judder. Many thanks in advance as always.
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Please help! Empty Re: Please help!

Post by Johno.0 Fri 17 Apr 2020 - 23:03

Forgot to mention that it doesn’t happen when I pull away in second gear.
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 10:42

Re the fuel filter being "for life" this filter is not included in Renault's list of mileage/time related jobs on the 1.6 so I guess the same would apply to the 1.2 unless you have done an exceptional mileage?

Normally even a "full" service only takes in what Renault decided needed routine checking & would not cover any investigation of other problems unless they became obvious on the post service test drive; assuming the garage even does one; or the customer has specifically asked for an investigation.

Just what did they do to "inspect" the clutch without a major strip down?

Unfortunately the only chat rooms I can find for Wind equivalent Twingos seem to be for 1.6 133s not 1.2s so can't gain any info there. 

Unless there is a known problem with the model such a problem may usually only be diagnosed/isolated on the individual car.

My best guess; given that the higher the gear the less judder; is possible contamination of the clutch plate but I can well understand the cost concerns re a clutch change if it doesn't cure the problem.

Another thought: Has the 1.2 got a hydraulic clutch mechanism? If so a bleed of the system costs little & might have some effect on it's smooth operation.

Very frustrating for you.

Last edited by pittstop on Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 17:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwkey61 Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 19:20

I was under the understanding if you try and move off in third gear, and are able to, then a new clutch is needed....
johnwkey61
johnwkey61
Took the roof down

https://sites.google.com/site/johnshouse61/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno.0 Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 23:17

Success! After changing the air filter to a K&N, changing spark plugs, HT leads, oil change including oil filter, MAF sensor, topping up / changing all fluids, and changing the Coil Pack the juddering became less and less. I then thought it might have something to do with the fuel line so I went and bought Redex Fuel Additive, (an aggressive one) and after driving around like normal (for some time as I use it for work - sometimes) the judder has gone. I never believed in fuel additives but have been able to see the results for myself so do now.

Thank you to all those who tried to point me in the direction of the clutch but I knew it wasn’t at fault as it’s a low mileage car, and in very good shape.

Once again, many thanks. I feel so much better now and can enjoy the car once again!

Last edited by Johno.0 on Sun 19 Apr 2020 - 21:08; edited 6 times in total
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno.0 Sat 18 Apr 2020 - 23:36

P.s., I drive a lot of cars in work and have experienced many vehicles with warn clutches; even ones where the cable has snapped on me whilst driving. After awhile you develop a sort of sixth sense for being able to identify such issues, and I do like to think I know and drive my car enough to be able to tell the difference when it’s the clutch or something else, (whilst taking car history / mileage into consideration, etc...).
Johno.0
Johno.0
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 20 Apr 2020 - 11:11

Rather highlights the difficulty re trying to diagnose from a description.

One man's judder (possibly clutch) is another mans misfire/hesitation/etc/etc. (possibly engine)

Glad you sorted it. Must have cost a bob or two.

Driving a car with a snapped clutch cable can be very interesting especially where stop/starting is required. As I found out many years ago driving a Fairthorpe Electron Minor.

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=37522  In case no one has ever heard of a Fairthorpe!!

Knock it out of gear when stopping; turn engine off; engage 1st then twist key to start engine when setting off; then the fun of matching revs as you change up!! Only possible on older cars. A modern one would not allow restarting in gear!

Last edited by pittstop on Mon 20 Apr 2020 - 11:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwkey61 Tue 21 Apr 2020 - 7:39

I managed to drive a Ford Ka with little or no clutch for about 3 weeks 4 times per week 100+ miles, not the best experience lol
johnwkey61
johnwkey61
Took the roof down

https://sites.google.com/site/johnshouse61/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum