Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

So what's next...?

+3
Mistydogblue
Barbs
kacey101
7 posters

Go down

So what's next...? Empty So what's next...?

Post by kacey101 Mon 22 Feb 2021 - 15:08

I figure I'll keep my 2011 Wind (fingers crossed) for about another 18 months - when I'm going to receive a pension lump sum and will start to be pressured by my wife to replace it. The thing is what with? I'd buy a new Wind at the drop of a hat if Renault had kept up with them but sadly that's not the case. 
What comes close to 'the fun'? 
I've previously had two MX5 (Mk3s) and enjoyed having those. I like the MK4 so that's a possibility - but I'd really miss the Wind's boot space.

Any suggestions (other than divorcing the wife because that is not an option!)  Very Happy

Cheers all
kacey101
kacey101
Set the stereo

Barbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

So what's next...? Empty Re: So what's next...?

Post by Barbs Tue 23 Feb 2021 - 8:37

Tell her won't divorce her if she let's you keep the Wind, and the money you save she can spend on something else . Lol
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistydogblue Tue 23 Feb 2021 - 9:54

If you are thinking of MX5 mk4 money then you could also consider an Audi TT convertible that has 280 ltrs of space with the roof down. Also the Merc SLK has about 225 ltrs with the roof down. In comparison the Wind has about 270 ltrs.

Mistydogblue
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by DarrenJ Tue 23 Feb 2021 - 10:53

My choice would be a Porsche Boxster. It has a similar amount of boot space overall, but split between front and rear.
I like the suggestion of the SLK due to its roof.
DarrenJ
DarrenJ
Cruising down the highway

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Tue 23 Feb 2021 - 13:54

I appreciate your problem finding a replacement for the Wind.

Due to problems with back & left leg I will be in the market for an auto later this year.

Great shame that Winds never came with autotranny which forces a change of car

The boot space in the Wind allows me to get a full set of golf gear & an electric trolley in my boot  So: to continue to carry that lot its an auto hatchback. NOT a preferred option. Alternative is to drastically reduce my golf gear to 5 or 6 clubs in a featherlight carry bag which would fit an auto sports car. DEFINITELY the preferred option.

Audi TT, Merc SLK/SLC,BMW Z3/4 are on my consider list or an Alfa 936 Spider: in my opinion a most beautiful car although not quite a beautiful as the Alfa 916 Spider a 3 litre version of which I had the pleasure of owning some years ago.

Also had an early (2000) SLK as my company car. Great mileage eater & well put together.

Let us know how your search goes.
When looking at the latest MX5; a sharp drive; don't overlook it's sister car the Fiat 124 which is regarded by some testers as a softer driving option; not such a good handler but better for everyday & long distance use.

I'm not rushing into anything yet as I will have to test whether my back will be OK with carrying a featherlight set of golf gear once Boris lets me out on the course again.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim777 Sun 28 Feb 2021 - 0:16

This may make you laugh as a newer convertible option, but my sister has the smallest cabrio in the UK, a Smart 453 cabrio 2018 with Renault engines (see picture of one below). I have driven it many times and it is fun to drive, the one she has is the 0.9 turbo that has 90BHP (the one to go for), it can be driven in auto mode or manual mode, and has the optional flappy paddles on the steering wheel. There is also the 1.0 engine at 71BHP. You can get the engines with the 6 speed auto box that also allows manual control/flappy paddles, or you can buy the 5 speed manual box only with clutch pedal. The soft top roof can go up or down on the move as its on rails, up to I would say 60 MPH, though if windy weather, I  would only open or close it at 30 MPH. The metal side panels above the side windows come off and get stored in the boot. Boot is quite small, but passenger seat folds down for storage as well. My sister tells me she get 44 MPG at best. Road tax £150, earlier models 2017 and less was £30.

Was actually considering an older 453 when I was going to sell my motorbike, but are quite expensive, considering a 2019 was £13.5k new.
The 453 was first offered in 2016, so these will be much cheaper by now, it is wider and more roomier that the previous smarts, and has a smooth suspension and power steering, it has the robust Tridion metal shell for protection.  Cruise control and bluetooth connection to a touch screen radio is standard. 

They no longer make the car with petrol engines and as from 2020 onwards it is only made with electric engine at wait for it a crazy £20k  Shocked with a rather poor 70 mile range, with less range in the Winter months due to cold.
So what's next...? CavkpRQ

Jim777
Took the roof down

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Sun 28 Feb 2021 - 17:47

Smart cars always look funky and cool..and have the advantage of a quality parent brand in Mercedes, unfortunately their major downfall has always been, in my opinion..price. My wife was seriously considering one a couple of years ago, until test driving one on the motorway and feeling more than a bit unsafe next to the HGVs..I can't blame her either after I had a go. Around town or at the beach is definitely where they look their best, and parking it was a dream..but in the end she decided on a Peugeot 108 "top" 1.2 model with a folding double skinned and padded folding roof...4 seats and a decent boot...its a nice drive, and with all the toys...but it's no Wind !! 😊
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum