Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

hand brake problem

3 posters

Go down

hand brake problem Empty hand brake problem

Post by donjack Sat 2 Feb 2019 - 12:42

good afternoon all, i have a problem with my hand brake.
we all know the normal travel on our hand brake, i got in to my wind this morning, nothing unusual there, set off, arrived at destination, pulled hand brake on, it didn't feel right! it came up waaay to far!! 
at the 'on' position it still holds the car although i wouldn't leave on an incline!!
is it possible that the cable has slipped due to the -6c temperature last night or is it something more, dare i say it, serious?
thanks for your help guys.
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

hand brake problem Empty Re: hand brake problem

Post by Mistydogblue Sat 2 Feb 2019 - 16:26

It is probably one of two things. Either the hand brake cable to the wheel has broken or the brake caliper had ceased. It probably is on one wheel only so by jacking the car up you should be able to tell which side is at fault. It is a possibility that the cold has ceased the caliper but if that is the case it would have freed itself again.

Mistydogblue
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sat 2 Feb 2019 - 17:56

Thanks for the advice @Mistydogblue, I've just jacked it up, both wheels were stiff, the cable mechanism on both wheels appear to be sticking, freed both wheels off so when I get home I'll give them a good squirt of WD-40 and see if that makes any difference, failing that, a visit to the local (unfranchised) garage might be wise!
Thanks again.
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Sun 3 Feb 2019 - 8:55

Hi Donjack, I know you’re not far from me and I had a similar problem on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, -6 temperature, the handbrake let off with no resistance at all but the brakes didn’t let off the back wheels, with the ice on the road they just dragged along without turning! Using some bare tarmac I drove the car back and forwards a few times and the callipers eventually freed themselves from the discs. It took a while though but was fine for the rest of the day.
Mine’s due a service so I’ll get them to check everything out and grease up the cable.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sun 3 Feb 2019 - 9:44

@knebby squirted mechanism with WD40 and after further inspection it looks like one of the cables has snapped, it was sticking out a bit so I gave it a little tug, I pulled it out about 8 inches which told me that it was goosed!! So it looks like only one side is working!
Way too risky for me. A visit to the garage for me I think!
Thanks for your input.
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Mon 4 Feb 2019 - 21:55

All sorted, cable had snapped, also had rear pads and a service while it was there, all done for the princley sum of £140!! Bargain in my opinion!!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down