Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

ECU Remapping

+5
Dr@gon
pittstop
donjack
Barbs
KatanaAl
9 posters

Go down

ECU Remapping Empty ECU Remapping

Post by KatanaAl Wed 8 Nov 2017 - 14:31

I had my 1.2 Wind remapped at the weekend by a company called Black-Code. It takes the horsepower up to 125bhp and increases the torque by 15%.
I had Geoff (Sandancer) out in the car today and we both agreed it feels like a different car for the better. It feels much more lively from a standing start and when the turbo kicks in between 2500-3500 revs there is a noticeable kick in the pants feeling. This makes overtaking much easier and safer. Tootling about in my car bearing in mind I live out in the sticks and very rarely drive the car in stop start conditions the average mpg has risen from 42 to 44 according to the onboard computer.
If anybody out there in Wind land fancies having their car done by this company, please mention me, I think I get a referral fee.

That was the good news and of course there is always bad news, the car is booked in for an MOT and to have the timing belt changed tomorrow.

Cheers
KatanaAl
KatanaAl
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

ECU Remapping Empty Re: ECU Remapping

Post by Barbs Wed 8 Nov 2017 - 18:16

You will have to show it off at a meet next year.

Plans Lakes 

The 2018 International meet in France a week later the International meet in Germany.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 17:15

katanaAl, you've just sold this to me, been thinking about it for a little while! do you mind if I ask you how much you paid?
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by KatanaAl Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 18:17

It was £250, that seems to be the going rate, I did check. My car only has 12,500 miles on the clock and I do intend to keep it for a good while. The car is incredibly responsive and genuinely has loads more power. It flew through it's MOT last week with no problems and is going back in on Thursday to have the timing belt changed.
KatanaAl
KatanaAl
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 21:27

Yeah, sounds about right, I did a search, the nearest to me is Preston, 30 minutes away and they charge £249 and its a company called sparks and sensors part of the quantum tuning outfit.
Only problem is it is Christmas soon and I have quite an expensive wife!! lol! lol! lol! so it may have to wait a week or three!! lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Mon 13 Nov 2017 - 9:56

Sounds like you should put a re-map in your letter to Santa this year.

Then you can become an EXPENSIVE HUSBAND.

As the ad says: "Because we're worth it"!!
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Mon 13 Nov 2017 - 10:14

pittstop, tried that one last year with a gopro, shot down in flames!!! She told me that Santa told her I had been naughty and I didn't deserve anything!! lol! lol! lol!
My time will come!!
Bah humbug!! lol! lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Mon 13 Nov 2017 - 18:10

Donjack, naughty what gave you been up too.....lol
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Mon 13 Nov 2017 - 18:26

Hahaha barbs, spending too much time with the other love of my life......my wind!!! lol! lol! lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 15 Nov 2017 - 13:54

Got those sort of comments re tinkering with my MGBs, TR7s, MGTFs & the V6 Alfa Spider.

I still have my grease gun hanging unused in the garage! On the MGBs it was used every 2500 mls!!

The joy of an afternoon spent balancing & adjusting twin carburetors & distributor; & actually feeling the improvement; was very satisfying.

Not any more. The Wind is so reliable & less maintenance needy that my wife thought I wasn't looking after it properly!! No more excuses for hiding in the garage.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Sun 8 Apr 2018 - 21:03

I have now been done too! and I'm so glad I did, thumbs up to katanaAl for giving me the little push I needed!
my little wind seems to be more relaxed, and I now love 2nd and 3rd gears! grin factor of 10!  lol!

I got it done a bit cheaper too, I was talking to daughter number 2 about getting it done, she then tells me one of her ex boyfriends now tunes cars for a living......result!!
I she got in touch with him and booked me in for last Friday, job done! £200 well spent!
so, if anyone is hesitating or thinking about it, just doooo iiittt!! you'll love the result!! lol! lol! lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr@gon Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 9:31

my remap is booked in for Thursday £179 Smile
Dr@gon
Dr@gon
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by KatanaAl Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 9:47

I seem to have started a trend, sadly you are all getting it done cheaper than me.
KatanaAl
KatanaAl
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by johntymac Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 10:31

I heard this would affect your insurance if not declared. Shocked

johntymac
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by donjack Mon 9 Apr 2018 - 18:29

There are debates raging in other forums about this topic,
some do some don't!
Some will some won't!
lol!
donjack
donjack
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by knebby Tue 10 Apr 2018 - 20:42

Surely the insurers need to know about it as the car has been modified but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll make a huge difference to the premiums.

Whether you don’t tell them and hope they don’t find out in the event of a claim is up to you but you do risk having no cover and driving uninsured.
knebby
knebby
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 10:08

knebby wrote:Surely the insurers need to know about it as the car has been modified but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’ll make a huge difference to the premiums.

Whether you don’t tell them and hope they don’t find out in the event of a claim is up to you but you do risk having no cover and driving uninsured.

Insurers are so much more particular nowadays. When insuring my old sports cars with "classic" insurers; the insurers were pretty philosophical about bigger carbs, straight through exhausts, etc, as long as you kept them informed: but it's a very different scene now.

Totally agree with Knebby. ANY undisclosed mods could; in theory; result in invalidity of the policy & in some cases disclosed mods might result in a refusal to insure you rather than an increased premium. The large insurance companies just aren't interested in non standard it's not worth their while. 

The Wind may be too modern to qualify for a low mileage "classic" policy but a call to such an insurer/broker might be worth while as; unlike myself for whom the Wind is a well worked everyday car as well as our holiday tourer; some of you Winders do use your Winds like classics.

That said; playing devils advocate; what are the chances of getting caught? Minimal I expect. How would an accident assessor detect a re-map or a chip? More likely to spot a non standard tyre size something I have been considering for mine!!

Who do boy racers in their spoilered, wheelarched & big exhausted Peugeot 106s insure with?

Last edited by pittstop on Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 10:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation!!)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr@gon Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 15:16

I am not telling my inc manly because cant be arced lol. like u say they won't hook the car up to dino after the accident. (not that i intend to be in one lol) still not told them i swapped out my wheels  :/
Dr@gon
Dr@gon
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 19:45

Looks like 1.2 owners have access to a reasonably priced upgrade that gets them close to 1.6 performance. Internet searches have revealed no similar options for 1.6 owners. I did find one company that offered 160bhp but the price was close to 4 figures as it required engine work rather than just electronics & power still required many revs to unleash it unlike the 160bhp VVC K series engines in my MGTF which was both powerful at high revs but also able to pull very well from low revs.
I guess the Renaultsport 1.6 engine has been around some time & has reached the end of it's life as a real powerhouse. I don't think it is an option in any current Renault models.
No worries I'm happy to live with what I've got.
Re insurance. Some clown in a 1980s Jag XJ6 4 Litre Sport lost control at a junction yesterday, hit a bus' then bounced into my wife's Captur. Thank goodness she was uninjured. 
He was driving a friend's car and wasn't insured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Ho Hum I suppose that's what we pay our premiums for.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbs Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 6:52

@pittstop I hope your Wife wasn't to shook up by it all. After a car is just a lump of metal unless it's the Wind.
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Jon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 8:56

Barbs, Thanks for asking.
Some delayed shock but physically well.
Thank goodness he hit the bus first as it took out most of the Jags impetus before it hit the Captur.
Captur driveable so awaiting calls from body shop & car rental.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Fri 20 Apr 2018 - 11:36

On the subject of mapping for 1.6 engines, a targeted ad appeared on my screen for a re-mapping company so I asked them about the 1.6.

This was their response which might be of interest to 1.6 owners:

The gains for your car on a stage 1 are as follows 

Original BHP133
Tuned BHP145

Original Torque (Nm)160
Tuned Torque (Nm)180
You will also benefit from improved throttle response and drivability with any flat spots being smoothed out.

Total price is £349.99 this includes a free electronic diagnostic health check a lifetime software warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee we cover kent and surrounding areas mobile at no extra cost so can come out to you to carry out the work.

If you wanted to book or have any other questions then please don't hesitate to contact me 

Kind Regards 

Elliot 
www.kingmaps.co.uk
Mobile : 07936579631
Office  : 01795663263

Last edited by pittstop on Fri 20 Apr 2018 - 11:39; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional words)
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Huggy Fri 25 May 2018 - 14:57

pittstop wrote:

Total price is £349.99 this includes a free electronic diagnostic health check a lifetime software warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee we cover kent and surrounding areas mobile at no extra cost so can come out to you to carry out the work.

Crikey £349.99? That seems really overpriced  Neutral
Huggy
Huggy
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Fri 25 May 2018 - 15:51

Put this on just for info. I certainly won't be spending that sort of money for a fairly modest power increase.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit197 Fri 25 May 2018 - 20:38

For the websites that quote, a price £350 seems to be the going rate. I've considered it but not yet gone for it. Not really interested in the power increase, but better fuel economy, increased torque and improved cold running when first setting off are all desirable to me.
Bandit197
Bandit197
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by Huggy Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:55

There's a company near me that have quoted £199 for a remap which seems Ok but at the moment I'm pretty happy with how the car drives and the exhaust note is just right!
Huggy
Huggy
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum