Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Go down

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring Empty MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Post by Jackalope1981 on Fri 20 Mar 2020 - 15:39

Hi, sadly my Wind 1.2tce GT line just failed it's mot. The garage says they can't get the parts so I need to. It's failed on the nearside front coil spring so needs a new one of them, and the front lower arm and Ball joint needs replacing. I've had a look on eBay but the parts can be quite pricey so I don't want to order them and find out I got the wrong bit. Does anyone know a good place to order from? Thank you!

Jackalope1981
Set the stereo

Back to top Go down

MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring Empty Re: MOT failed, front lower arm & ball joint, front spring

Post by pittstop on Fri 20 Mar 2020 - 19:01

The need to replace the whole front wishbone (suspension arm) when the ball joints or even just their rubbers fail is; in my opinion; a major design fault by Renault. 

The same must apply to the similar aged Twingo & earlier Clio; both built in Renault's Slovenian factory which also built the Wind: whose floor pan & underpinnings the Wind shares so Renault should still stock these parts.

They are costly: I had to have both mine done purely because of rubber seal failures.

Renault supplied these; at a price; & I am unsure whether they can be obtained elsewhere.

Coil springs? With today's potholed roads spring failure is in the lap of the gods.

Ideally springs should be replaced in pairs  but cost & labour time considerations made me replace just one front spring on my daughters 2008 Audi TTS with no obvious impact on handling etc. Trouble is if you replace only one then you should use a Renault part to as closely as possible match the; admittedly worn; Renault original on the other side.

Perhaps the testers from Top Gear might notice the difference in handling but most of us live in the real motoring world.

Sadly I have no knowledge of trusted more reasonably priced parts.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down