Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.
Renault Wind Owners
Welcome to the Forum

For the best experience and to see exclusive content, we encourage you to register and login, either using our native login, or the TopicIt system.

If however you do not wish to register, then please close this window.

Automatic locking

+2
pittstop
Barbs
6 posters

Go down

Automatic locking  Empty Automatic locking

Post by Barbs Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 10:11

Well here you go I never knew you could set the car to automatically lock when driving. 

Automatic locking  20200213
Barbs
Barbs
Admin

Back to top Go down

Automatic locking  Empty Re: Automatic locking

Post by pittstop Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 11:12

My Wind must have been set up to self lock by the previous owner & I never realised it was switchable.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Back to top Go down

Post by Timtnx Sun 16 Feb 2020 - 21:15

I only knew this because of having a clio years ago, it was a standard fitting
Timtnx
Timtnx
Put the sunglasses on

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim777 Thu 11 Feb 2021 - 18:50

I do not have my Wind set on auto locking, and I do not really want to do that.

Reason: Most auto locking of doors above 5 MPH, means the doors are locked to prevent carjacking, (someone opening your door to attack you at the lights or a junction) 

Autolocking doors usually auto unlock as follows.....

If you are in a crash and the airbags operate, then the doors auto unlock, so that people outside can come and rescue you by opening the doors, sounds good so far  Very Happy  

But...I have seen a number of bad accidents where the airbags have not went off as the sensors did not operate or sensors in bumper were actually not hit during the accident. So in theory your doors would not auto unlock in the event of that type of accident, so no-one can open the doors to get you out. Your locked in and could be unconscious  Shocked

I do not have a Wind manual to check , so maybe someone can check that the doors work that way or not. Meanwhile i will keep the doors unlocked.

Jim777
Took the roof down

'Old'SeaDog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Old'SeaDog Fri 12 Feb 2021 - 17:48

Automatic locking on the doors just sounds like something else electrical to glitch just at the wrong time...on a car already prone to unexplainable electrical glitches at the best of time.. to be prudent to me I'm afraid..I shall stick to the manual central locking button if stuck in traffic somewhere "dodgy"
'Old'SeaDog
'Old'SeaDog
The Wind in your hair

Barbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pittstop Sat 13 Feb 2021 - 9:49

Having got used to auto door locking; & feeling safer for it; on the Wind & Captur it came as a surprise on my wife's new Jazz to find auto door lock is not an option. 

She now has a ritual on start up to manually lock doors & manually switch off "auto stop/start"; which both of us find really irritating despite ALLEGED petrol savings.
pittstop
pittstop
The Wind in your hair

Timtnx likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim777 Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 4:14

Oh, do not get me started on start stop tech, I hate it. I am so glad we do not have it  Very Happy

ADVANTAGES...
A few thimbleful's of fuel saved.

DISADVANTAGES....
Wear on engine and parts due to all that stop starting in one journey
Destroying battery life, even those start stop batteries, 
(goes from at least 7 years life on non-start stop, to 3 to 4 years with start stop).
Dangers of iffy conditions for start stop to work or not work. So you do not know if it is going to work or not.
Dangers of accidental stop start operating in the wrong place, like cutting out in the middle of a junction.
Small delay in restarting stop start can be the difference of life and death, in dangerous areas like traffic lights and junctions. 

ENABLE/DISABLE button...
You do have the option to switch start stop off every journey, but most cars are set as enabled, so you do have to switch it off every journey, which is annoying.

Jim777
Took the roof down

Back to top Go down

Post by Andyk Sun 14 Feb 2021 - 10:01

Jim777 wrote:Oh, do not get me started on start stop tech, I hate it. I am so glad we do not have it  Very Happy

ADVANTAGES...
A few thimbleful's of fuel saved.

DISADVANTAGES....
Wear on engine and parts due to all that stop starting in one journey
Destroying battery life, even those start stop batteries, 
(goes from at least 7 years life on non-start stop, to 3 to 4 years with start stop).
Dangers of iffy conditions for start stop to work or not work. So you do not know if it is going to work or not.
Dangers of accidental stop start operating in the wrong place, like cutting out in the middle of a junction.
Small delay in restarting stop start can be the difference of life and death, in dangerous areas like traffic lights and junctions. 

ENABLE/DISABLE button...
You do have the option to switch start stop off every journey, but most cars are set as enabled, so you do have to switch it off every journey, which is annoying.
I don't disagree with a lot of your points, it can stop the engine at the wrong time and be a pain. However I have not found the battery an issue. Our Vauxhall Insignia is now 7 years (78,000 miles) with stop start and is still on its original battery. It started fine the other morning at -6 degrees c.

I believe the introduction of stop/start was for the reduction of emissions (which must be good for all of us). If you have stood at the side of a busy junction with all the cars idling, you can smell the fumes in the air.

A minor point. It also helps my pocket. It is £40.00 road tax a year rather than around £200 for the non stop/start version.
Andyk
Andyk
The Wind in your hair

johntymac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down